When I mention the words “personal development” to my audiences, many times people mistakenly associate these words with attending seminars, listening to motivational speakers, and generally staying pumped-up and positive.
While these elements can be part of any personal development program, they do not, in any way, make up the entire approach to personal development.
Personal development means just what it says – developing yourself as a person. In the world in which we live, you cannot become externally what you have not already become internally. Zig Ziglar says, “You must be before you can do, and you must do before you can have.” What he means is that each one of us must prepare himself (or herself) by growing as individuals before we can expect to advance and achieve more in our personal, family, and business lives.
A good personal development plan involves the following:
- Examining your dreams and goals for the future;
- Identifying the skills and abilities you need to have to achieve those dreams and goals;
- Performing a personal gap analysis to identify the skills that you need to acquire;
- Setting goals and developing a plan to acquire the skills you need;
- Executing that plan to grow and prepare yourself for greater achievement.
At Optechs, we specialize in personal and business coaching. We work with you to develop and execute a plan that will create a compelling, successful future for you. We provide you with the tools, teach you how to use them, and then mentor you in your personal achievement process.