The country music band Alabama has a song about the pace of life that says: “I’m in a hurry to get things done. Oh, I rush and I rush until life’s no fun. All I really gotta do is live and die. But I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why.”
Finding Time To Start Living
Are there times when life feels like a blur as it races by? As productivity expert David Allen asks, “Are there days when you feel like you’re half a beat behind?” Are you constantly trying to “keep up with the Jones’” as you run to win the race of life?
Why? Why are we always running a thousand miles an hour with our hair on fire? Why can’t we ever seem to catch up? Why does life seem so complicated and difficult?
A Few Steps To Start Living Differently
Have you tried, somewhat unsuccessfully to answer these questions? If so, then here are 5 ways to stop hurrying and start living.
- Discover your focus. Have you ever noticed how relaxed and happy really successful people are? Ever wondered why? The answer is simple: they are focused on their highest priorities and they’ve used this focus to filter out and discard the unimportant and irrelevant things in life.
- Balance your life. Truly successful people have an amazing sense of balance in their lives. They allocate time among all of their priorities – work, marriage, family, church, community – and that balance gives them a great sense of inner peace.
- Get organized. How much time do you waste every day due to lack of organization? You need to make a phone call but can’t find the number. You can’t remember where you left the file you need for a meeting that starts in fifteen minutes. Having a dynamic system that captures, processes, and puts everything in your life at your finger tips just when you need it is a crucial part of achieving unusual success.
- Set priorities. Prioritize your activities for each day. Doing so keeps you focused on your highest priorities and gives you a roadmap for the day.
- Relax. Take time to relax and reflect every day. Spending time in daily reflection helps you learn about yourself and your world. It gives you the opportunity to make appropriate changes in response (not reaction) to what’s going on in your life. Reflecting on today and planning tomorrow before you go to bed at night also clears your mind and gives you better rest.
If you are hurrying and not living, give us a call at 203.599.1467, or email us at email@example.com. We have some great programs to help you get you life on track so that you can start living again!